Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Love Granola!

    I love granola so much, it's one of those things that I want everyone on the planet to love as well. Doesn't matter if I despise them, who cares if they're horrible people - everybody needs to adore granola! (I feel the same way about Harry Potter, actually... Needless to say, every day is fraught with disappointments.)

    I am of the humble opinion that this recipe makes the best granola ever. Make it. Try it. PLEASE. It's so good! and so very customizable and easy.

Granola
makes about 5-6 cups

4 c oats (puffed cereals like rice and quinoa are great additions)
1/2 c almonds (or any nut)
1/2 c sunflower seeds (or any seed)
1/2 c sesame seeds
1/2 c dried, shredded coconut (or any dried/dehydrated fruit)
1/3 c vegetable oil (or any sweet oil, such as coconut)
1/3-1/2 c honey*

    1. Preheat oven to 325F.

    2. Combine all ingredients in a large cake pan and mix.

    3. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Stir the mixture at this point, and then continue to give it a good stir every 15 minutes for 40 minutes to 1 hour*. This is to ensure uniform browning. When done, granola should have an even golden color. 

    4. The mixture will still be slightly wet. Allow to cool in pan before transferring to a storage container; it will dry.

    *1/2 c honey is really quite sweet, so do the 1/3 c first and taste to see if you want more. Measure out the oil first and then use the same cup for the honey - the sticky liquid slides right out.

    *For the mathematically impaired, 3 stirring sessions comes up with 55 minutes of bake time. This is what I did. The coconut was very nearly burned, so be aware!

    *Pay special attention to the corners when mixing in the oven; they tend to brown more quickly.

    I love mine full of seeds and looking like birdie food! I also had one last rice cake in the cupboard so I crumbled that up and tossed it in. The recipe is easy to double and I would suggest doing so if you like it... It gets eaten up at an insanely fast rate!
    Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment