Just had to get that out.
Tofu Salad with Bacon Garlic Dressing
1/2-1 block tofu*
2 T olive oil
1 T garlic, minced
1 T bacon, minced
1 T soy sauce
1 t sugar*
2 T young onion*
1-1 1/2 T lemon juice
1 green onion, chopped, for garnish (optional)
1. Wrap tofu in paper towel and chill in fridge as you prepare the dressing.
2. Boil string beans and broccoli lightly (1-3 mins). Shock them in cold water to stop cooking process, or cool by fanning them.
3. Prepare salad fixings. Arrange lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. in a bowl and chill. When ready, scoop spoonfuls of tofu onto salad and garnish w/ green onions.
1. Put olive oil and minced garlic into small pan, stirfry at low heat until aromatic.
2. Add bacon and continue to fry.
3. When bacon is colored, add soy sauce and sugar. Stir to combine, then remove from heat.
4. Grate sweet onion into dressing, then add lemon juice and stir.
5. Spoon dressing over salad and serve. Enjoy!
*I deviate from Chef's method with the tofu. I cube it and lightly pan fry in about a tablespoon of olive oil. Squishy, cold, raw tofu? Um, no thanks!
*Considering I live in a very small town that chews and spits at the very thought of sweet onions, I subbed out the grated one for a wee bit of regular ol' yeller, or sometimes just forgo it entirely (Edit: I just found out this isn't true--they are available here, but I'LL STAND BY MY STATEMENT because it's funny).
*I just put in the teensiest pinch of sugar; we are very particular about mixing sweet and savory here. Of course, you can do whatever the heck you want.
Now isn't this a sweet little bento?
Maybe the way I devoured it wasn't quite as pretty,
but who cares!